The Malt Scoop Inn was originally a farm built during the 1700s then converted in the 1800s to accommodate a coaching inn and the lease was taken over by the previous landlady’s grandfather in 190. Throughout that period and whilst serving as a coaching inn for passing travellers the ‘Scoop’ also served the locals, most of which were no doubt employed by the Clinton Devon Estates
Estate workers would be paid part of their salary in cash and the remainder in tokens. These tokens could only be exchanged in the village store and the local butcher but not the inn, thus deterring estate workers from drinking away their valuable and hard-earned wages. It is also believed that the introduction of these tokens can be linked to the Racobites, a temperance organisation founded in 1835. Members of the organisation are known to have been present in the village encouraging members of the parish to “Sign the pledge – never to allow alcohol to pass their lips”
The building is of architectural value and historic interest and is Grade II Listed, statutorily protected. The building is therefore considered to be of local importance, to be nationally important and of special interest. It has, however, received an extensive structural alteration in the 18th and 19th centuries. The building also holds significant ongoing community value as a local amenity, having been the village’s public house for over 200 years.